Summer time presents all sorts of training opportunities, and in this issue Ben Randall explains how you can engage the whole family in helping your gundogs prepare for the coming season. Instead of letting the kids run riot and undermine your patient training, if you get them involved you can make it a productive couple of months for everyone involved. As ever, Ben has some wonderfully simple tricks of the trade to make it happen.
The last weekend of July sees The Game Fair return to Ragley Hall in Warwickshire and we preview a packed schedule of events, including a brand new minority breeds events. So it's not all about the labs, spaniels and HPRs - other breeds getting a look in this year include Irish water spaniels, Nova Scotia duck tolling retrievers and the charming little lagotto Romagnolo, which is also the subject of our in-depth breed profile in this issue.
Elsewhere in these pages we have the usual blend of training experts, proven handlers and veterinary professionals on hand to bring you the perfect celebration of all things gundog this summer.
Don’t miss this issue
- How to make the most of summer training
- New, novice and nervous
- The joy of working pointers and setters
- Essential pre-season fitness advice
- Game Fair gundogs preview
- How to commission a portrait of your dog
- Summer hazards and how to avoid them
- Great products for you and your dogs
- First aid tips in the field
- Breed profile: lagotto Romagnolo
- Famous dogs from TV & the movies
- Plus training advice from our panel of experts