Reward-based training generates much debate and much of this surrounds the definition of that simple little word ‘reward’. In this issue Ben Randall explains the difference between old-fashioned bribery and a meaningful system of work and reward. He makes it clear that a reward does not always have to mean a tasty treat. As always it’s a truly informative read.
Have you ever wondered whether boarding school would work for your dog? Worried about passing the buck or whether your dog will remember you when they come home? If so then championship competitor and residential kennels owner Graham Slater has some answers for you in his myth-busting feature in this issue. There are some common misconceptions which he is very happy to debunk.
Elsewhere in this instalment of Gundog Journal Patrice Fellows shines the spotlight on the Irish water spaniel and asks some pertinent questions about whether we could all do more to support the minority breeds. And if you are thinking about a UK holiday this summer then we have selected 11 luxurious dog-friendly hotels where you and your dogs can truly relax.
Don’t miss this issue
- Treat training – how to get it right
- How electric collars are used in the US
- Transport solutions for your dogs
- The truth about boarding school
- The Drakeshead dynasty
- Irish water spaniels in profile
- Veterinary advice on neutering
- Expert training advice from the Gundog Journal team
- Dog friendly UK hotels
- 40 years of the Pointer & Setter Champion Stake
- Top kit for gundogs and their owners